Sabana Westpunt embodies laid-back Caribbean vibes like no other place in Curaçao. If your group seeks a peaceful, private getaway on the northern part of the island, this stunning cliffside vacation rental has your name on it.
Around 150k people live in Willemstad. That’s ~95% of Curaçao’s population…not including tourists. But less than an hour to the north, the often overlooked village of Sabana Westpunt offers sanctuary from the cruise ship crowds.
In late December, we ventured back to the Caribbean for a weeklong family vacation, and to cross our second of the three A-B-C Islands off the list. The vacation rental we called home was easily the best we’ve ever experienced as it offered the ultimate combination of space, comfort, privacy and security. Not to mention, location.
There is no other house like this in Curaçao. Trust us, we looked!
In this review:
- Property highlights
- Inside look at the villa & amenities
- Get to know Sabana Westpunt & northern Curaçao
- Local dining tips
There’s a lot to love about this place. Here are a few of our favorites:
- Space: 8,333 square foot villa (4 bedrooms; 4.5 bathrooms)
- Security: located inside a gated 5-star resort community
- Privacy: at the end of a road with only one other house
- Views: perched on a 40-foot (12 meter) cliff with 360° ocean and mountain views
- Terrace: retractable wall creates enormous indoor/outdoor common area
- Diving: the best dive site on Curaçao—Watamula Hole—is in your backyard
- Pool: 140-foot (43 meter) wraparound infinity pool surrounds the terrace
- Bathroom-with-a-view: downstairs master has 2 underwater windows into the swimming pool
Last but certainly not least: local support
We can’t say enough about Hynrich, the friendly and responsive property manager, who truly made our stay a breeze.
Hynrich—a Curaçao native—met us near the airport so we could follow him in our rental car across the island; dropped off jumper cables when our car wouldn’t start; came to clean the pool several times; offered suggestions only when we asked; and responded to every inquiry or need very, very quickly.
Our advice: book your stay today
This rental is truly one-of-a-kind, and it books up quickly, year round. Check availability on:
▾ Need a place to stay on the southern part of Curaçao? ▾
An inside look at this one-of-a-kind vacation rental
To access the villa, enter the private gate for the Kura Hulanda Resort. This entryway is monitored by guards 24 hours a day.
As we pulled up the driveway, we had no idea what was about to happen.
Sleeping & bathing
Each bedroom has air-conditioning and an ensuite marble bathroom. There’s an additional half-bathroom in the common area on the upper level.
Here’s the breakdown of this 4-bedroom, 4.5-bathroom masterpiece, by floor:
- First floor:
- Queen bed | oceanfront patio access
- Queen bed | oceanfront patio access
- King bed | oceanfront patio access | 2 underwater windows into the swimming pool
- Second floor:
- King bed | private terrace with mountain views | sandstone bathtub | separate seating area with 2 couches
Upper common area
A large living room and sitting area are open to the kitchen, with incredible views of the mountains and ocean. Plenty of space for a puzzle or a group board game!
Fully-equipped gourmet kitchen
Let’s put it this way: it’s got everything you need. Stainless steel appliances. Two large refrigerators. A wine fridge.
We’ll stop there. Check out the official listings (either link below) for a full list of amenities.
Convertible serve-through bar
A 12×7 foot electric retractable window in the kitchen transforms the countertop into a serve-through bar for convenient poolside entertaining.
Terrace with retractable wall
Another huge electric retractable wall transforms the already-enormous living area into an outlandishly-large indoor/outdoor terrace. We spent 80% of our non-sleeping time on this terrace.
Wraparound infinity pool
The 140-foot (43 meters) infinity pool wraps around the oceanfront balcony and terrace, providing unobstructed 180° ocean views.
Get to know Sabana Westpunt & northern Curaçao
The population in Sabana Westpunt is just under 800. Although if you book a stay in Sabana Westpunt at this house, you’re likely to have a few days of not seeing anyone. As you’ve just seen, there are plenty of good reasons not to leave 🙂
Here are 5 Curaçao treasures to discover around Sabana Westpunt.
- Christoffel National Park: take a driving trip through Curaçao’s largest national park
- Shete Boka National Park: 10 beautiful inlets where 3 species of turtles nest
- Noordpunt Lighthouse: panoramic views and one of the best places to catch sunrise or sunset
- Playa Forti: do as the locals do and jump off a 40-foot (12 meter) cliff into the turquoise water below
- Playa Grandi: swim, snorkel or scuba dive with protected sea turtles
Dining in the area
For the best cheap eats on the island, head 30 minutes south of Sabana Westpunt and visit Bert & Alaida at Curaçao Shakes. Homemade arepas, fresh juices & shakes…and some really great people.
Around Sabana Westpunt, here are a few restaurants to check out:
- Sol Food: homemade pizza, salads and a few other items (the owner, Sunshine, is never not smiling!)
- Cactus Cafe: two words: coconut fish!
- Restaurant Playa Forti: average food, but incredible views…perfect spot for a sunset cocktail.
- Jaanchie’s Restaurant: we didn’t eat here, but we heard great things! (iguana…is on the menu)
There aren’t many corners of the Caribbean more laid-back than the north end of Curaçao. And if you end up staying at this vacation rental, you may need to check your own pulse.
Are you planning a Curaçao family vacation or group getaway? What are you waiting for?! Lock up this ridiculously awesome pad today, using your preferred link below:
And let us know if you go!
▾ Search all Curaçao accommodation here ▾
Booking.com | Hotels.com | Airbnb | VRBO
Enjoyed this article? Pin it for later! ↓